View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Laugh Thank God for the Internet!:-)

I wanted to stop in and introduce myself to you fine folks here at Neurotalk. I found my way here while searching out information on vitamin D deficiency (a recent test had me at 4.5) and ended up linking to a thread mrsD started “New Medical Video on Vit D:” I’ve been clicking around like crazy since.

I am a 32yo husband and father of a 16 month old future marathon runner In 2007 I developed osteo-necrosis in both femoral heads and had bi-lateral Free Vascularized Fibular Grafts in attempt to save my natural hips. About a year later the necrosis started to progress rapidly and had fracture in one femoral head and partial collapse in the other before I could find a doctor willing to do total hip replacement. Those were done in October and November 2008 and I worked really hard to get off crutches in time for the birth of our first child in January. He was born on my 32nd birthday and is the best physical therapy partner a guy could ask for. I still work full time and I am terrified I won’t be able to keep working or I’ll lose my job because off my health problems.

After the necrosis diagnosis, I started working with a pain management doctor and my long term goal for the last 3 years has been to taper off the CP meds and to be done with them. As the dose was lowered a lot of hidden pain and strange sensations started becoming more noticeable. After the dose had been cut by about half from the peak, I couldn’t manage the pain, work, and home responsibilities anymore and have been at that dose for around 6 months.

During that time the strange feelings and pain have increased in frequency and severity to where it was affecting every aspect of my life. My wife got me to the doctor after I began having episodes where I couldn’t make myself swallow. The doctors kept saying neuropathy so I made an appointment with a neurologist and started reading. My first appointment with the Neurologist is on Tuesday and I want try to come up with all the questions I couldn’t possibly know to ask.

Sorry for the long intro but it doesn’t feel right reading other people’s health and personal lives without anteing up a bit of my life and I will end with that… for now
HobbleHips is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-17-2010), tamiloo (05-18-2010)