View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Genetic causes must be a part of the mix

Do not overlook genetics as being a risk factor. My sister and I both have young onset Parkinson's disease which has different symptoms than idiopathic parkinson's disease. My sister will not get a Parkin gene test. I have had the test.

Genes are made up of exxons which, when triggered by other neurons and proteins, produce proteins. If triggered too much it will create more protein than needed, if not triggered enough, then lack of protein produced will affect the job of the protein that is supposed to be produced. I am missing 2 exxons. This makes my brain overproduce synuclein protein strands because whatever exxon 3 and 5 produce is missing. The protein strands attach themselves to the walls of the delivery system of dopamine to the nerves that control movement. Eventually the delivery system becomes so clogged with these protein strands that the dopamine produced by the neurons in the substantia niagra end up basically committing suicide.

The result is not the traditional tremors, although they are a part of my symptoms. The worst of my symptoms is ridgidity, and slowness of movement as well as gait disturbances. Study is being attempted to discover what exxons produce what products. Once this is understood, then serious work can begin to replace whatever isn't there too stop my brain from over producing the protein strands.

There may be a bacterium, virus, or environmental toxin that destroys the same product missing in my brain. Or it could be a completely different exxon in the Parkin gene that has been destroyed in other idiopathic parkinsonian brains. Whichever exxon is missing or overproducing would cause slightly different variations on patients symptoms. This could explain why no one Parkinson's disease patient is exactly like another. Genetic research is in its infancy. Right now the government has formed a genome project and is making the rules on how research is to be conducted. Private companies have already discovered and copyrighted gene lines which could cause several different types of neurological disease disorders. No research can be done on these disorders without paying for the rights to the holder of the copyrighted DNA strand.

DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW YOUR DNA INFORMATION TO ANY RESEARCH PROGRAMS WHICH MAKE YOU SIGN A DOCUMENT PROMISING NOT TO EXPECT TO KNOW THE RESULTS OF THE DNA TESTING. THERE IS NO REASON YOU SHOULD NOT KNOW YOUR DNA. WHICHEVER RESEARCH COMPANY OR AGENCY IS COLLECTING OUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND REORGANIZING THE INFORMATION INTO USABLE FREE INFORMATION FOR CREATION OF PRODUCTS THAT COULD HELP YOU. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR MUTATION IS, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHOOSE THE RESEARCH PRODUCTS WHICH HAVE THE BEST CHANCE TO HELP YOU. BE AN AWARE CONSUMER.

Knowing your personal information does not hurt the research being done in any way. The information stays the same if you know or don't know.

My two cents for what its worth.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote