View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Grin

I wasn't sure if I should post about this skin cancer but I'm glad I did now.

Having a disease like MS hinders our ability to fight things off like skin cancer. I never even thought about it until my dermatologist and surgeon told me. It's not really known what causes it to flare up like mine did.

I'm so anxious to get my vitamin D level checked after being on 2,400 IU's daily now. I was on 1,800 IU's when it came back so low. I was supposed to see my PCP for bloodwork Monday but since the hail storm tore up my car, I will probably move the date back a few weeks.

Vitamin D3 is the important one and that's such a contradiction since vitamin D comes from the sun. I am supposed to go outside for 10 minutes a day to try to get a small amount of sun exposure.

My second skin cancer never saw the sun and was not in an exposed place. I also had a biopsy from an area inside my ear that did not have sun exposure.

I learned that basal cell and squamous cell start on the top of the skin so if you see any unusual or painful bumps or scaley patches, get them checked. Very small percent are serious but both of mine were.

Melanoma starts under the skin and I think that is why it is so deadly. It shows on the surface but has already spread under the skin.

I have been so lucky that my face has not been messed up. My dermatologist has frozen a few small precancers but nothing major. I have used Clinique all my life and wonder if that has helped.

I never had anything on my legs before last year. I told my dermatologist in a joking way that I was trying to keep my legs shaved and believe me it's not easy.

He said seriously that was a great idea and both doctors said it was possible that shaving helped keep the growths shaved off. So all you gals, keep your legs shaved!!

Keep your kids and yourselves out of the sun and out of the tanning beds. My surgeon told me that skin cancer is an epidemic now. I've been in his office enough to know he's not kidding.

IMAGINE
RRMS - 1992 -- SPMS - 1993
Not on DMD's

Becky21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (05-18-2010), FinLady (05-19-2010), Koala77 (05-18-2010), SallyC (05-18-2010)