Thread: PCS Newbie
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PCS Newbie

Hello all!

I'm PCS Mikey from Arizona and I'm a Husband/Daddy/runner/triathlete.

Last May I suffered a post-marathon syncope where the result ended up with obtaining a concussion.

My initial symptom a couple of weeks post syncope was fatigue, then it went to intense cognitive imparement, memory problems, and dizziness. After thorough testing, I was cleared by my cardiologist being zero risk for having a cardiovascular problem. The first neurologist said it was post concussion symptoms and my brain simply needed some time to reboot/rewire. I was greatly relieved after several months, that the symptoms cleared up 100%.

Unfortunately I had to have surgery for an unrelated issue (diverticulitis) in December of 2009 and in February, the crazy symptoms came back with intense headaches, more cognitive imparement, memory problems, dizziness, and lots of neck pain, with greater intensity and symptoms than the initial ones last summer.

The second neurologist did more tests (sleep deprived EEG, MRA, carotid u/s) to reassure me, and yes, thankfully, there isn't anything wrong structurally with the brain. But, like many others I'm reading, I CAN tell there's something not right up there! It's been three months since the return of the symptoms and some issues have lessened but as long as I don't exert myself with a heartrate elevated activity, I seem to be fine. If I try to swim, bike or run, I'll get a screaming headache which will last for a couple of days, with mental fog rollin' in, plus some dizziness. Currently on 30mg of Nortriptyline at nighttime plus phosphorus from the naturopathic Doc. The phosphorus is, by explanation of the ND, supposed to speed up the healing process so my recovery time would be less than compared to not taking it.

And so my journey continues! Happy to be alive, mentally aware enough to write this, fully aware it would have been worse, and patiently healing in order to run again.

Mikey
PCS Mikey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (05-19-2010)