View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Could I be developing a brain aneurysm like my father did?

Hi. I too had surgery had surgery for an inner ear infection that became horribly infected and I became violently ill on March 9, 2010, I saw my doctor on March 10 and on March 11 he fit me in his surgery schedule because I was experiencing nausea for the first time in my life that was so bad I couldn't even hold down water. I had the surgery then I became violently ill that night and my 17-year-old son was so concerned that he called 911 in the morning and went to the hospital with me where they gave me anti-nausea drugs and he took the day off from school to spend the day taking care of me. Then I came back for a follow-up appointment with my doctor on March 19. He was so concerned about my physical symptoms and my state of mind that he wanted me to stay in hospital, but I was worried about what it would cost, so I convinced him that I try being at home, being taken care of by my daughter, which turned out not to be a very good idea because she was having some very serious problems of her own, recovering from a gunshot wound to the face by an unstable (and now in jail) boyfriend. I wound up having a very bad reaction to the anesthetic (I always do) and the anti-nausea medicine and I suffered many falls, the last one being so bad that I had a slight concussion when I was sleep walking (more like sleep running...something I never do under normal circumstances) and I plowed head-first into the bathroom door with my son doing his best to catch me and he tried to pull me back from hitting my head, but I still got hurt. I tried to take care of it myself, but I had to go back into the emergency room and they kept me in the hospital for a couple of days for observation. Since that time I have tried desperately to get caught up with all of my mother's taxes, bills and appointments while trying my best to help my children and I am so despondent about the reception I've been getting from the people around me that I don't know where to turn. I didn't have a brain aneurysm that I know of, though my father, whom I take after, died from one when he was only 74. I am 53. The cat-scan they did looked "fine" they said, but the vertigo has been pretty bad at times, though I am finally getting some physical therapy for that. My main problem is that of trying to get back into my normal routine and I haven't had much sympathy at all from my family, they seem more concerned about all that I haven't been getting done for them. I was told to get rest and to get help to get back on my feet again, but I've been easily upset and depressed and I am astounded at how cold some people have been towards me since this happened. I had to use a cane for awhile and I've been having trouble talking, writing and typing as well, though thank God I still have all my number, math and music abilities (strong points of mine) in tact. I am depressed and frustrated and I feel like there is something possibly more wrong with me and like I'm not progressing as I should. All the bruises on the outside are diminishing, but I still seem to be a mess on the inside. What should I do? My family is getting more and more and frustrated with me. A psychiatrist I saw a couple of times said she couldn't help me and I'm not even sure why. I just know that I am not myself and I'm scared that I might not ever return to my former self, though some tell me that I am showing some signs of improvement. I don't smoke or drink and walking my dog was always my calming behavior and I'm having a lot of trouble with that. What can I do to make things better? What is the matter with me? Why do I have such an awful time with anesthetic? How do I find out if I am developing a brain aneurysm like my father did? Thanks for your helpful information, I hope you are doing better. --Candace Mc
Candace Mc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kgirl (04-15-2011)