View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Abby -

Difficulty swallowing is my main weakness, and it's like the others have described - I can feel food stuck in my throat when I'm trying to eat, and it won't go down until I give the muscles a rest. As for whether it's a problem or not, um, yes, it's a problem. You can probably wait till your appointment in the next week, but I wouldn't wait any longer than that. And if it's better by the time you see him, you still need to bring it up and talk to him about it.

As for your comment that it doesn't matter if you take your Mestinon at night b/c you're just going to bed, be VERY careful with this thinking. For most people, this is probably true. However, that was exactly my thinking last year, until I woke up one morning and couldn't swallow anything, including spit or liquids, and I couldn't take my morning dose of Mestinon. As a result, all of my muscles got weaker (hands, arms, legs, vocal chords, breathing) and I ended up in the hospital for 8 days. It wasn't something that happened suddenly - I had been having problems swallowing my pills in the morning when I first woke up for several weeks. But, I was definitely wrong in thinking that everything would be stronger in the morning after getting some sleep. I agree with Maurice, try taking an extra Mestinon at night and see how you do.

Jennifer
Jenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote