View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Angry

I specifically asked if it was Vitamin D2 or Vitamin D3. The CMT reputable site did not distinguish between the two and we know there is a big difference. So I remain confused and wondering about it all. You would think that they would have answered my question about the two. But they did not Go figure

I found this article concerning Parkinson's and Vitamin D. At the bottom of the article the study shows that low levels of Vitamin D do not cause Parkinson's nor that it will help prevent Parkinson's. http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-dise...-to-parkinsons

More studies/research need to be done. Interesting at any rate. And I agree that more PNers need to be tested for CMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
That is a very interesting article... especially for pointing out the complexity, of this disorder. I get the feeling, that many patients are not evaluated for CMT because of this.

I would like the Vit D elaborated. Do they mean D2? Which is what doctors typically use? Or D3 from sunlight and most OTC supplements?

There is this one paper on a kidney patient who happened to have CMT also, and a dialysis problem with calcium: It is the only paper that comes up with CMT and Vit D keywords on PubMed:

Sometimes when medical articles are made like this one, the authors search MedLine for other problems and will report even obscure papers, just for safety's sake.

I am reminded of a paper about GLA... (which is found in evening primrose oil), but is also the abbreviation for a toxin.
Papers searching for negative studies on GLA, (from evening primrose) found this toxin that shares the same abbreviation, and since then the link to GLA (from primrose) and seizures has been "cemented" and repeated infinitely on further websites and in papers.

Concerning Vit D... I found this interesting article about ALS and elevated calcium levels in the blood:

http://www.als-mda.org/publications/als/als3_4.html

So since we cannot find a definitive paper on Vit D and CMT at this time, having calcium serum levels drawn as well as Vit D levels might be a good idea. The only contraindication so far medically has been suggested for sarcoid patients.

At this time Vit D treatments in US are still substandard. And I personally suspect more PNers should be tested for CMT than they are now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."

Last edited by Kitt; 05-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bumpy_road (06-21-2012)