View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Brain Jolt

For what it's worth, Theta, I have had experience of a sort of jolt also. Mine can be in the brain but it is also in the upper spine.

Like you I was rear-ended by a larger vehicle moving at high speed. I think I have some neurological damage to the upper spine as well as the brain. The time that I have most experienced a jolt, it was more in the upper spine than in the brain. It was almost as if someone had sneaked up behind me and thumped down on my upper back really hard. For a second I didn't know whether I was going to collapse or have a seizure but then nothing else happened.

That was the biggest jolt that I have had but I have what I call neurological spasms much more frequently. Perhaps these are similar but not so intense. It feels as if there were some kind of actual discharge of electricity or something charged. Electricity and charged atoms and molecules are involved in the functioning of the brain so I don't think that it is completely far-fetched that some of processes involving charge might produce some unusual phenomenon when the nervous system has been damaged.

The good news is that these things that I have been taliking about have been getting better and better for me over the last couple of years. Now those jolts or neurological spasms, whatever caused them, are much much milder for me.

I hope that everyone with similar problems will find that they gradually get better also.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Z View Post
I am at a loss to accurately describe what this is/what it feels like when it infrequently yet repeatedly occurs.

FYI: Age 57, 2 previous mTBI @ age 40+ & age 20. I am at ~ 20 mos. post-mTBI/PCS from high-speed, high-impact rear-ended auto collision in which my little vehicle was totalled by a big mini-van. I was perched to make a right turn when we were struck; my passenger says that we did a 360 and a 180 (turns, not rolls) before my vehicle came to a stop some 30-35' out & away from the minivan and some 60' *back from* our original turning position, facing in the opposite direction.

We were not hospitalized; clear CT in the ER, twice in 10 days.

I am in now what I would describe as the 3rd phase of mTBI/PCS. This is where I can say, okay, I see that I am getting better, not 100%, yet I am definitely better, finally feel again more 'like myself'. (It seemed that my personality was 'erased', all of who/what I knew as myself was just 'gone'.)

And now to my question.

Perhaps the most disturbing and alarming symptom(s) which I experience intermittently, not frequently, is this experience of a sudden 'jolt' or forceful 'push' at the back of my head around the occipital area, base of my skull. It hits me with enough of such a forceful sensation almost as if I were being hit/pushed with force from behind enough to nearly topple me over. (Seems uncorrelated to postural position, head position/ movement/ turning, etc.) I feel weak and shaky afterwards.

Neurologist (unhelpful in all ways) diagnosed as 'syncope' and/or 'migrainous'. There is no headache associated with these episodes. He wrote: "suspect Ms.__ is a migrainor".(??)

At other times, it feels like a 'spinning' inside my head, which is very disorienting. It's not 'vertigo' in the sense of "the room is spinning". It's more like my 'inner gyroscope' has been set into a spin, if that makes sense to anyone?

I have not been checked out by ENT, otolaryngoloist (sp?), MRI, MRA, nor QEEG (plain EEG, normal findings) or for vestibular disorder.

Anyone else have experience of this or anything similar?
Any input, experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Theta
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (05-20-2010)