View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is your hug:

But I have to say, anyone with a chronic pain issue, has to learn to focus elsewhere in order to have any quality of life.

The more you pay attention to the pain, the more it will become a fixed response and constantly torture you. Only you can change your perception of your situation. I strongly advise self hypnosis as an option to learn to dissociate from your troubling bodily sensations.

I focus on my family, pets, and hobbies, to minimize the pain I have. It does not "go away" but becomes bearable. Everyone has some bodily challenge. It might be epilepsy, a closed head injury, arthritis, MS, MG, cancer or whatever. Just read our other boards and see how many people are struggling every day with something.

I have to be blunt here. You don't have to convince others of your discomfort. I don't discuss my pain anyone anymore. No one wants to hear it. They have their own troubles. And in the same vein, they are not responsible for your pain either. Take it one day at a time, and do things you enjoy doing. I personally enjoy growing things, seeing them start from tiny seeds and becoming beautiful flowers. So that is one way, I keep my focus away from my slowing deteriorating body. I can't bowl anymore, I can't play tennis or racketball anymore, I can't stand on ladders anymore, but there are other things I can still do and enjoy. My house is more scattered and cluttered because I don't have the energy to keep it perfectly anymore, but hubby doesn't mind. So that stressor is less for me too.

You have to prioritize you life, and only you can do that.
Ask your psychologist to give you EMDR, that can help with anxiety. Also have her teach you self hypnosis. Those skills can help you cope.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
amit (05-21-2010), dahlek (05-21-2010), lesley21 (05-22-2010), Mere (05-22-2010), rscowboy2005 (05-21-2010)