View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb you know,

I think people vary ALOT in how they react to sugar.

This topic is quite active about children. My years on the ADHD forum at OBT,
were filled with parents remarking on the sugar causations for problematic
behaviors.

And you know, also, when I was freshly out of college, HYPOGLYCEMIA was
an actual disease/diagnosis then. We called it a "fad" disease.
Women especially were being diagnosed frequently with this. There was even a drug made for it--diazoxide (ProGlycem)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazoxide

It had severe side effects and is only used now in extreme situations.

The epidemic of diabetes now, has taken over for this decade. And I think it is directly proprotional to the use of high fructose corn syrup. This sweetener is is fruit juices today, that kids just consume in huge amounts (as well as sodas). It is hidden in many other foods also, because it is less expensive for the food industry to manufacture than using sucrose (from cane or beets). The diabetes epidemic is not a fad however, it is frighteningly REAL.

The fasting insulin test is easy and available now. And many doctors do not
put people thru the brutal GTTs as often anymore. Most doctors today are focusing on postprandial (right after eating) sugar levels, so multiple sticks are really not needed. This of course does not help with the hypoglycemics out there. Those of us who get shakey...know to avoid long time frames between meals, eat smaller more frequent ones, and less sugar, etc.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote