View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
do you truly support the selling of confidential, information gathered by non-profit (National Institute of Neurological Diseases) sponsored research to private (National Diagnostics, Inc.), to sell to Pharma Companies to create for profit disease specific treatments to sell to specific disease patients?
Vicky,
You asked an important question and I may not have a direct answer, but some sort of explanation as I see it.

NIH gives out grants for start up biotech companies that have promising data/ideas that would result in a product as quickly as possible. yes, these are "free" but in fact they are "earned" with hard work and good ideas. These are called SBIR/STTR grants and give small companies to do what they want to accomplish without the pressures of investors or investing companies. I have benefited from these grants and It is the best thing NIH has done to take academic research to its ultimate use, i.e., to patients use.
I am assuming (almost sure) that the grant received by National Diagnostics falls in that category.

NIH also provides data collected via surveys etc., information gathered from patients to anyone (not-for profit or for profit). It is not sold, it is freely available. Individual Patient information is never revealed and it is always the group data and the total # of participants. In case, individual samples and the corresponding info is released, it goes by codes. This kind of service done by NIH,CDC and other centers/organizations funded by the Govt is and will be critical for finding understanding diseases.

I think these are examples of positive things done by Govt agencies to connect academic research to patient care. My strong belief is that out of the box ideas and cures based on novel thinking come from small/medium sized biotech companies and not from the big Pharma. They need financial support from NIH as well as patient support for finding cures for PD or anyother disorder.

Thanks
Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (05-22-2010), olsen (05-22-2010)