View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Thank you Girljia

The problem I have with the release of the information is not the fact that it is my personal information, but information gathered from patients with the same gene mutation, gathered by their consent, then sold to a private company to earn income from and they can sell it to another private company to earn income from. I do not fear for my personel information, but then I am naive as I believed them, when I was told my genetic material would be assigned a number and would be untracable to me.

My requesting the information to be open and shared to any research company to be used was to prevent companies from buying a patent to certain genetic lines, preventing the information that was bought from being used for other illnesses. One mutation line may effect other genetic processes as well. Rather than speed the process up for all, it will start a series of lawsuits by companies, and prevent the growth of smaller pharma companies who will not have access to genetic mutations to continue their work.

The government NIH genitics grant program is like a drug cartel using their power to decide who the big players are and who are not.

I believe the reseacher who promised not to reveal genetic information was as naive as I was. Like me, he believed his superiors. There are still people who belive truth is truth, not a negotiating tool. I am proud to be a bumbler on a personal level and will not resort to the tactics of others to get my needs met. Viva la Bumblers!!

Thank you Girlija for your kind responce. Despite our disagreement on the long term effect of the method of dissemenating information, I thank you for your understanding and thoughtful responce.
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote