Old 05-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernclay2 View Post
Hi MelodyL.

A question. Is the DVD cleaner the same size as a regular DVD or smaller?

Here is some other information.

Don’t worry about Nero being big, after the trial ends you can always uninstall it.

But I have a question. You said you loaded Nero and then uninstalled some other media players, and then rebooted. Is this exactly how you did it, or are you just paraphrasing?

Because, sometimes, when you load a new program, and then uninstall another similar program, the uninstall can mess up parts of the new program you just loaded. This can happen since they share components.

So. As a general rule, whenever you install a new program, if you are going to uninstall other programs, do it this way.

First, uninstall whatever you don’t want.
Then reboot the system.
Then install whatever you do want.
Then reboot the system.
Then try it out.

Always reboot in between whatever you are doing (also in between individual uninstalls or installs). Windows needs this step to reorganize itself. I can explain why this is important but it is beyond the scope of what we are talking about.

So if you did not do it this way, and you did get partial results, believe it or not, the only way to know if it will work for sure is to uninstall everything, and then reinstall it in the correct order.

I know it stinks, but it is the only way to know for sure. Unless you have a tech physically looking at your system, diagnosing and repairing these kinds of things can be messy.

A side note. The compressed air is probably a good idea to try

A second side note. I don’t know how old your system is, but if it was aging, and the guys at the shop replaced the motherboard, they could have physically damaged the DVD drive and not realized that they did it. A little movement here, a little pressure there, sometimes it does not take much, especially if the drive is a few years old (you may have even done it if you bounced it around a little when moving it). If the drive is physically damaged, the only way that you will know for sure (without a tech looking at it), is to hook up another DVD player (even an external one) and see if it works or not. If the secondary DVD works then it means the original DVD is failing since they will both be using the same software to operate. You may be able to borrow an external DVD drive from someone to test this possibility. You may also buy one from a big store with a good return policy, try it out and diagnose your system, and then return it to the store if you don’t want to keep it. Maybe not the best way to go, but it would tell you if it’s your DVD or your system that is causing the problem.

Having said all of this. You may want to consider paying a kid in the neighborhood $20 to take your system into the shop for you (or with you to do the lifting). I know you don’t want to spend the money (or you would have spent the $14.99, which you can still do), but getting it to the shop is still your best option (other than getting a tech to look at it at your home).

I hope this helped a little. God Bless You.

Bernclay-

Hi, first the dvd lens cleaner is a little round disc. Not the same size as a compact disc

You said:

the only way that you will know for sure (without a tech looking at it), is to hook up another DVD player (even an external one) and see if it works or not.

I CAN HOOK UP ANOTHER DVD PLAYER? I have a little portable dvd player that plays my Avatar perfectly. So how do I hook up this player to my computer?

And you mentioned the order in which I installed and uninstalled. Yeah, I first installed NERO, then I uninstalled VLC and Best Media.

Then I rebooted the whole thing.

But honestly, the way it played before Nero was exactly the way it played with VLC. It DID work with VLC but with the jerky movements, and the sound which sounded like gargling.

So if I can hook up my little portable dvd player to my computer, what exactly am I looking for?

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote