View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

twenty6colors,

First, sorry to hear of your struggles.

Second, I wholeheartedly agree with nancys. Your symptoms could all be caused by a concussion or other brain trauma, whether by physical trauma, chemical trauma, or emotional trauma. PTSD can cause the symptoms you have as well as a high fever, chemical (drugs/alcohol/inhaled) toxins, etc.

Stimulants are definitely counter-recommended for a struggling brain. There is volumes of research about the long term effects of Adderal and Ritalin on a so-called healthy brain. The neuro-chemical effects of a concussion are also well known.

You said, <I went to urgent care after the accident and the doctor there said it was fine to continue taking medication as long as they weren't NSAIDS or narcotic pain killers that could mask critical symptoms.>

As is common knowledge in the PCS community, very few doctors have any valid understanding of concussion. NSAIDS are commonly prescribed for the headaches and body aches that accompany a concussion. The symptoms to be aware of are similar to a stroke, muscle weakness, inability to stay awake/loss of consciousness, vision or hearing changes, and even some psych issues like mental confusion, hallucinations, delusions, etc.

I would suggest trying to find a neuro-psychiatrist who has a good understanding of concussion. A good physician will want a complete medical/physical history. Any emotionally traumatic events will be important.

This would also include any sport or other physical activities where you may have experienced any form of physical impact or shaking to your body.

Dr Julian Bailes in Virginia has coined a new term for this, sub-concussive impact. He has demonstrated that sub-concussive impacts can have an effect on your brain, especially if you have many of them such as a shaky roller coaster ride or a heading the ball drill with a soccer team. His definition of a sub-concussive impact is a trauma that does not manifest with any symptoms as the time of the impact.

It is not uncommon for an impact to the brain to not manifest with any symptoms until a few days or sometimes weeks later.

Concussion researchers have recently softened their advice against stimulants for PCS subjects. Although they still advise avoiding them, the limit is a cup or two of normally caffeinated coffee a day.

Your hormone levels can also be out of balance. Not an uncommon problem for PCS.

You need to understand how stimulants effect the neurotransmitters your brain uses to function. Stimulants are designed to effect these neurotransmitters. They will increase the production of some and decrease the production of others. Caffeine has this effect on nor-epinephrine and epinephrine. This can cause your heart to race and even your mind to race.

The direct connection between your hormones and neurotransmitters as just as important. Some have both actions depending on the cell they impact.

If your doctor considers you to be borderline bi-polar, you should be getting advice to be careful with stimulants. Anxiety and panic disorder are negatively impacted by stimulants.

btw, I have three siblings with bi-polar/anxiety struggles. We have decades of experience. I have an anxiety disorder that resulted from a very minor concussion coupled with PTSD.

The medication issue with concussion is problematic because our medical system is so overly controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. Publishing against Big Pharma is hazardous.

Regarding work/environmental stress. If you cannot reduce it, you will be struggling for a long time. The brain cannot heal with the ups and owns of stress constantly challenging it. In fact, the stress can cause ALL of the symptoms you have.

Do a search for nutrition on this forum. You will benefit from a stress/brain focused nutrition/vitamin regimen.

I hope this helps you.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote