View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi, first the dvd lens cleaner is a little round disc. Not the same size as a compact disc

You said:

the only way that you will know for sure (without a tech looking at it), is to hook up another DVD player (even an external one) and see if it works or not.

I CAN HOOK UP ANOTHER DVD PLAYER? I have a little portable dvd player that plays my Avatar perfectly. So how do I hook up this player to my computer?

And you mentioned the order in which I installed and uninstalled. Yeah, I first installed NERO, then I uninstalled VLC and Best Media.

Then I rebooted the whole thing.

But honestly, the way it played before Nero was exactly the way it played with VLC. It DID work with VLC but with the jerky movements, and the sound which sounded like gargling.

So if I can hook up my little portable dvd player to my computer, what exactly am I looking for?

Melody
If your result with Nero was exactly the same as with VLC, then I would agree that uninstalling and reinstalling is probably not going to get you anywhere.

As for the hooking up an external DVD. I do not mean hooking up a self contained system that plays on its own with its own software (which is what you have). I mean hooking up another DVD drive that uses the computer to operate in the same way that your internal DVD drive does.

It is these kinds of specifics and questions that would be much simpler to work out in a real time chat.

From everything you have said, I am still inclined to think the same thing that I thought earlier. I think you most likely have a compatibility issue with your decoder that was not reloaded correctly after the motherboard was changed. Or. I think it is possible that your DVD drive is damaged and physically failing.

Not to keep repeating it, but a tech looking at it would be able to fix this up relatively quickly. This only seems complicated because we are diagnosing and giving advice remotely.

If you still want to try to fix it alone (and don‘t want to bring it to the shop), and if you change your mind about spending the $14.99, then your simplest option would be to uninstall all the extra media players (so you are not overtaxing your system (once again, someone in person would be able to easily tell if this is an issue or not)). Reinstall the VLC media player (so you know it‘s a good install (and you can sidestep the Windows media player version 9, 10, 11 issue)). Then download the $14.99 decoder. Remember to reboot in between each step. Remember to reboot after the $14.99 download. Then try it out. If the DVD plays, your good. If it still plays choppy, then at that point I would think it is most likely due to the DVD drive being damaged and failing.

I hope this was helpful. God Bless You.

Bernclay-
bernclay2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote