View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

All this makes me wish I'd thought to see my psychiatrist shortly after the concussion, but I didn't realize she'd have much to say/know much besides switching up the Adderall - which I was probably going to do next time I saw her anyway, so I didn't see a reason to reschedule.

I saw my primary this week, however, who said there's pretty much nothing to be done - concussions can take months to recover from yada yada - but that I probably have some coup/contre-coup bruising and loosely recommended a CT, which I've scheduled for tomorrow AM. She also said, obviously, the lack of sleep, the stress, and the adderall were all making things worse and prescribed me a sleep-aid (short script - until I can see my psych). She thought the Adderall could be contributing to, if not causing, the spaciness - however, advised me to continue its use and defer to my psychiatrist (she didn't want to tweak my psych's meds and I already had an appt scheduled for this week anyway). In retrospect, the XR did seem to space me out more than when I was off it, but it was definitely not CAUSING it. So, I dropped the XR, but I've still been taking the IR sporadically and in small doses (11.25mg) - it helps a little, only briefly, but it's better than nothing. Also, after two months of use I'm not sure how smart it would be to stop cold turkey, so I've just reduced my intake. I'm still pretty spacey/unfocused on or off of it, either way. The 30mg XR seemed to kick it up a few notches for sure though :/

My hours have been reduced at work, but not significantly (I had pre-existing intermittent medical leave I've been using lately, but I can't continue using it as frequently as I have this month). I'm considering dropping my summer courses, but I'm going to wait to speak with my psychiatrist first.

Unfortunately, I can't reschedule my exams. One professor won't be in town, and the other is a youknowwhat. I had already confronted her last week requesting extended test-time (per a documented disability w/the school to which she's obligated to comply) and she gave me hell - just about accosted me about it and told me it was bs... soooooo I don't think an incomplete would go over too well.

In any case, I've had plenty of down time, technically. I haven't worked all week... and I've hardly touched my books, though not by choice...

Oh, the Adderall wasn't keeping me "going", and I didn't mean to imply that I was pushing myself very hard by its use... just that I haven't been sleeping (neither here nor there)... and on a whole am not getting anything done. Can't really spin a stuck wheel, if that makes sense :/

Thanks for your concern. Hopefully things will get sorted out soon...
twenty6colors is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote