View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos51 View Post
I had a new cervical MRI on Monday, and got an almost panicked call from my doctor, who wants me to see a surgeon immediately.. Spondylosis, compressions, etc., etc. Have had these for 5 years.
However, got RSD in my hands and arms as a result of Botox injections in my neck and shoulders. I have had two surgical consults, both of which said I am not a good candidate for surgery -- but did not say why. I suspect both were terrified. And my rheum. has said that surgery on a person with RSD is not a good idea. What's the real story on this? Anybody know.
I suspect that whatever anyone says, I'm not gonna do it, as every single doctor and hospital I've been involved with has made me worse in some way -- sepsis, pleural effusions, aforementioned Botox, misdiagnosis of RA, prescribing prednisone, which rheum. is STILL trying to wean me off of. oh, and add adrenal insufficiency to the list. RSD is now moving into upper arms, shoulders, and across chest. Can anybody help?

I have had RSD for 8 years and am currently 4 weeks post op from a three level, 360 degree cervical fusion. Yes, my neurosurgeon's eyes bugged out also when he saw my Myelogram and knew I had RSD, but ultimately it comes down to this: How bad is the pain associated with the cervical problem? If it can be tolerated, or controlled with your RSD pain meds, then it isn't a real issue. If it can't, then YOU must make a decision.
I can tell you that the key to as much of a successful surgery as you can get is the anesthesiologist that attends you during your surgery & does your post-op pain ( or pain management physician for post op pain ). As I said I am only 4 weeks post op, but I am encouraged. Yes I did have some of the RSD symptoms in my neck, but each day they get a little better, and yes I have had several post op complications .... but I can tell you with all sincerity - I would do it again in a heartbeat. My neck hurt me so bad and the numbness & tingling in my arms was almost unbearable. My pain management physician is being extra cautious in controlling all pain now and he said he would for 90 days after the surgery, but so far I haven't experienced the same symptoms that I have with other surgeries. It is your decision, and one that you need to take your time and weigh the pros and the cons. I wish the best to you. Since I just had such a HUGE surgery, please feel free to ask me any questions. I would be most happy to help.
Best Wishes.
yiisd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote