View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

BeccaP: WOW...sorry to have hijacked this thread. I also hope it helps someone else someday!

Headaches: We recently learned that headaches in the back of the head can be indicative of optic nerve trauma. My daughter's head hurt where she impacted and also at the back, like the base of her skull. That resolved fairly quickly but the impact area is still where her headaches are centered when she gets them.

DizzinessThe two of you have such similarities, but apparently have different diagnosis.
I'm really frustrated by the similarity of the symptoms between inner ear and optic nerve problems. My daughter has never used the word "dizzy" to describe her symptoms. She says "lightheaded" and once in awhile she has had the room tilt feeling. As I said, she was cleared by an ENT. Unfortunately we were referred to him through our optomitrist so he knew we had a previous diagnosis of optic nerve trauma. I feel like we talked him into his diagnosis.

ClumsyDid you know optic nerve trauma can also make you more clumsy than usual? The center line of your vision gets out of whack and leaves you prone to running into door jams, car doors, etc.

Cognition My daughter also has the occassional lapse trying to find a word or mixing up word beginnings and endings. Her grades are getting WAY better, though, and she is able to do regular work with no accommodations. Can't wait for summer so she can get a real break.

Fatigue/exercise We noticed a huge different around 6-7 month mark with both cognition and fatigue. She played ultimate frisbee for three hours at the park with just a couple "zappers" the other day. Wish she wouldn't have pushed quite that hard but it was great for her to do normal stuff with other kids.

NeckHer neck injury resolved after a few weeks with our regular chiro. I recently talked to him about the possibility of lingering issues being caused by something in her neck. He took the time to go through every symptom, range of motion, etc., and he doesn't think any further chiro care will help. Who knows?

Similar to your vestibular rehab experience, the eye exercises our optomitrist gave us brought out nausea and headaches. He advised she quit them until she gets more specific directions from the vision therapist.

I "learned" (don't know much really about accupressure and facial massage from "Brainlash." I've always done foot rubs to relax my kids, now I've just looked at charts on the internet to make a little more educated effort. No specific cites. If we end up traveling 500 miles round trip once a week for vision therapy I will probably look into professional accupressure or accupuncture as well.

We follow up with neuro same day we start vision therapy in June and I have a list of questions. She will be close to a year then so we will request hormone/pituitary/adrenal/thyroid/nutrition testing. We might also ask about a second ENT opinion.

Thanks again!
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (05-28-2010)