View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default battling the stigma

Hey Peg -

Not only has Dr. Marsh been preaching the link between PD and depression for years, newer research suggests that depression might in fact be an early sign of Parkinson's disease.

The reason it is important to tease out the differences regarding the cause of the depression (is it because you are bummed you have PD? is it because of a chemical imbalance/change in your brain?) is that it influences treatment. I don't think this is unique to Parkinson's, but it is unique to depression - do meds work? Counseling? Both?

Bottom line for me: doctors treating someone with Parkinson's should assume the presence of depression until it is ruled out.

We have a long way to go in our society to erase the dangerous stigma that comes with a dx of mental illness - dangerous because many people would rather deny than get help. Ridiculous, and I am losing patience !!!

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote