View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE

Okay, here's what happened 30 minutes ago SO THIS IS THE MOST RECENT UPDATE ON MY ADVENTURE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH MY DVD ROM DRIVE.

I took my dvds and the exact codec info and I went to the computer guy. He played Avatar using his Windows Media Player (also, and this happened on my computer also), it comes up in Windows Media Player as being Blu-Ray. ONLY IT'S NOT BLU-RAY. I said to him 'look, on the right here, where it says AVATAR, it indicates a Blu Ray dvd".

He said 'yeah, but this is NOT a blue ray dvd. It's not. The package does not say Blu-Ray, and the dvd itself does not say Blu-Ray.

Doesn't matter because IT PLAYED PERFECTLY ON HIS COMPUTER, (as I knew it would). I then explained the whole thing to him. I showed him the dvd cleaner thing. He didn't know why it is not readable on my computer.

I then asked him "do you think my dvd rom drive could be dirty or faulty". He said "bring it in (yeah, I'll do it this week when I break it to Alan, after he is up and around for a bit).

I then asked him for a can of air, he didn't have one. He said "you can go to Radio Shack, but I don't think the lens is dirty".

I then walk the two blocks to Radio Shack and got the nicest young man and I showed him the lens cleaner that I tried to use, I told him exactly what was happening and he whispered to me "doesn't sound like your dvd rom is dirty or the lens is dirty, because it wouldn't be playing your dvd's in slow motion, it would be choppy.

I said "it's not choppy, and all my dvds play the same way in all the media players that I tried".

He said "it's probably something on the lens, or a pin is lose in the dvd rom drive.

I very much thanked him for his honesty, I walked the two blocks back to the computer guy and told him exactly what the Radio Shack guy said

"He said "yeah, sounds good, bring it in when you can".

I then looked him square in the face and said "Listen to me, my dvd rom drive worked just fine before you changed my motherboard, so please don't tell me I have to pay for ANYTHING'

He laughed and said "no, don't worry, no charge, it will take one day, we'll check and fix it".

So, sometime this week, this is what I'll do and then when I get it back and I've played a dvd, I shall say '

"GLORY HALLELUJAH, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD, AND I WATCHED AVATA

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote