View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am glad to see someone taking this issue to Congress. Unfortunately, Dr Gioia is repeating some of the same falsehoods that have been a big part of the problem.

He wrongly states <The length of time for a full recovery following
a concussion – and of functional impairment – varies from days to months. For most, it takes at least several weeks.>
Not only is there no evidence to support this statement, but there is long standing evidence to disprove it.

He also states from the CISC <be restricted from activities until they’re fully healed. The important roles of parents and the school were also highlighted>

There have never been any valid standards for return to activity. The ImPACT Test and CNS Vital Signs test are woefully inadequate. They are a good start as they help parents and students better understand the need for extended non-activity.

Fortunately, he acknowledges a serious lack of understanding as to the students with persistent symptoms.

<A portion of students have persisting problems with school learning and performance long after the acute effects of the concussion. We do not yet understand the reasons for these poor long-term outcomes, and must study them further. A high percentage of student-athletes with concussion/ mild TBI experience short- and medium term problems with school learning and performance. These academic problems, even if temporary, can have potential negative consequences for the student down the road. And, if unidentified and untreated, these problems can have significant long-term consequences for the student.>

He has this nailed this last issue. PSAT's, Merit Scholar Tests, SAT's ACT's and routine academic tests that effect the student's permanent GPA can forever change the opportunities available to the student.

He is unfortunately too vague about "if unidentified and untreated." For many, the only treatment available is accommodation by teachers in testing and other grade effecting evaluations. There needs to be a avenue to have academic failures due to symptoms deleted from the academic record allowing the student to retake or delay finishing a course until proper accommodations and assistance is made available.

He calls for federal involvement when he should instead be calling for local awareness. The feds will get in the way as they create ineffective bureaucracies. The local schools need to be aware of these issues with access to local services and diagnostics.

I have a hard time understanding why there is so much resistance to accepting the fact of concussions causing long term consequences. Do the schools worry about liability law suits? Here in Idaho, our state school athletic association objected to 'informed consent' and other informational requirements as presented by a concussion bill this past February. The gutted bill that resulted and was passed and signed by the governor is worthless.

I could go on but I think I have said enough for now.

I lived this exact same problem in high school from 1969 to 1973. Not much has changed in 35 years.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote