View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Things I found that helped my peripheral neuropathy

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy following an EMG the end of March 2010. All my blood work was normal except for a B12 of 190. (I had to insist that my neurologist even run a B12 test on me--he said he didn't think I could have a low B12 since I maintain a good diet.) My neurologist told me that 190 was not low, and I would not benefit from treatment with B12 injections. My husband and I insisted that a value of 190 was low and the neurologist begrudingly gave us a prescription for B12 injections. My husband fortunately was able to give me the injections at home. I started B12 injections as well as oral supplements on April 7. I also started acupuncture the same week. The burning in my legs was horrific. I screamed all night and cried all day. I had pain in my thighs as well. I could not sleep and was prescribed Ambien. I was able to sleep with the Ambien but also got very depressed while on the Ambien and quit eating, thus losing over 10 lbs in short order. I was then prescribed Paxil. I was spiraling down very fast and not wanting to live if I had to have this pain all my life and take all kinds of drugs to control the pain. However, by week five on the injections, supplements, and acupuncture my body finally began to rally. The burning and pain in my legs stopped and now the numbness in my feet and hands is almost completely gone. I was fortunate to have a wonderful support group of family and friends who prayed for me daily and I know that God has answered all our prayers.

I tell everyone I meet now to have their B12 checked. I am 58 years old and in good health. I have been treated for hypothyroidism for over 30 years and I now know there is a link between thyroid disease and malabsorption of B12. I also used Pepcid fairly regularly and had a high intake of caffeine every day, all of which prevent the absorption of B12. I have taken alcohol, sugar, and caffeine out of my diet.

Please do not let your doctor tell you that B12 is not a factor. Have your B12checked. I had to plead with my neurologist to even check mine and then plead with him to treat me with B12 injections. If you are below 500 demand to be treated. Now two months after being diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy I feel that I am about 90% recovered. Don't let them tell you your PN is idiopathic. Keep reading and doing research, be a strong advocate for your own health. If I had not done all this detective work myself regarding B12 I would be bed bound by now, on Lyrica, Paxil, and Ambien every day because my doctor said I was pretty much doomed and encouraged me to take all these medications.

The supplement I have been using is Nerve Support Formula which I purchased on Amazon because shipping is free. This treats neuropathy, no matter what is causing it. You have to take it consistently at fairly high doses for at least two months to get benefit. Their consultants are available all day to talk to you and help you individually. I think the combination of B12 oral supplements, injections, and acupuncture has pretty much healed me and I want to share my story with everyone. I am happy to communicate with anyone on this topic. There is help out there.
txgal51 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
caroline2 (02-16-2018), Cliffman (10-15-2015), debra lynn (03-03-2014), EdmundUK (05-09-2016), linda_sd02 (05-11-2011), lulu262 (02-12-2019)