View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashika1 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new and my name is Candice. I'm 52 years old. I had surgery to repair an unruptured aneurism on September 11th, after they found it in an MRI while trying to determine the cause of vertigo. It turned out my vertigo was caused by permanent damage to my inner ear from an ear infection. I feel blessed that the aneurism was found, and could be repaired. It went well, and my physical healing seems to be going well, too. I have a wonderful circle of support from friends and family, and co-workers. I've been off work and won't return until the end of November.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced depression and anxiety after coming through surgery? I can't make sense of this. For a few weeks right after surgery, I was elated and happy, and was laughing alot, just happy to be alive.

NOW, for the past few weeks (maybe 3), I am in such a depressed state, my sleep is all over the map, insomnia, and generally just feeling hopeless, useless and yet, I know intellectually that these things aren't true. My family doctor wants to put me on Ceprilex, for my depression, but I am unsure of taking them, as there are numerous side effects. I am feeling sad, and cry at the drop of a hat, for no reason. I find myself spending a lot of time alone.

I started seeing a counsellor this week, because I can not deal with feeling so low, all the time!

What I want to know is, do others experience this after brain surgery and is this normal? I want it to pass. I try doing one or two productive things/day, however my energy level and motivation is low. I manage to get to the gym about 4-5 times per week. This makes me feel marginally better, but the effects don't last.

Anyone out there who has had these post-surgery symptoms?

Thanks,
Candice (Ashika)
Candice...Hello, and I understand completely what you are going through. I, too, had a very large aneurysm found due to vertigo. My dizzy spell happened while I was driving, which scared the he!! out of me. After a cat scan, I was off to the neurologist. One cerebral angiogram confirmed it, large unruputured aneurysm behind my right eye. Two stents put in, second one because the first stent moved, and on Dec 4th, after a 6.5 hour surgery, 18 coils were placed.
Now, I'm told I'm good. I have headaches everyday, I am anxious, depressed,
yes, I do feel all alone in this. I fear driving because thats where it all started.
My family Dr has put me on Zoloft, also Lorezapam for what he says is Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder. I lost my job because of all the time I missed during surgeries. Right now I want my life back, but I dont know how to get it, I cant imagine going back to work right now. So, I, too, spend alot of time alone, have my crying spells...ugh!!
I'm grateful that my surgery was a success, I know that it's a miracle, and I am thankful for that. Sometimes, though, I find myself wishing that they had never found the aneurysm. I know I'm going to get through this though, and so will you...will do it together. It's wonderful they have this support group, so we do know we're not alone in our journey here. If you need someone, to talk with, to vent to...I am here, know that your not alone. I'll pray for you, myself, and everyone else out there that is going through this. My name is Laurie....
laurie1787 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote