View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Rick i think the pd community is leaning toward multiple causes of PD, while at the same time recognizing similarities in treatment options with other neuro illnesses. This is especially true of delivery systems, which have everything to do with the BBB.

I can't remember where I post what anymore so sorry if this is a repeat. i fear that information is being multiplied at such a manic rate, that treatment options will always lag way behind what we learn. [well this is a given]

That's why it is imperative to do more than chase the ultimate cure [s]and stop and take care of people along the way. Everything isn't a cure, but it can come close and much can be learned by its use on people.

Everything boils down to the expense. It should be boiling down to what prevents human suffering.

An article in the New York Times this week said avoid patient anecdotal information posted [funny that it said posted], in learning to understand your doctor. I can see the need to use good judgement about what you read, but the attitude behind that statement promotes the continuation of viewing the patient as inferior and subjected to the moods of medical personnel.

If a new "campaign" is being launched to regain the respect and control of doctors, it will only be as successful as the respect is returned by the doctors. Some patients may be medically illiterate, but a literate one can smell patronizing a mile away.

I'm ranting, yes, that article ruffled my feathers. What's my point? There are multiple causes, delivery systems, drugs, [some that already work] being withheld from patients, which is devastating their lives. A new report is coming out soon with stories of many patients whose lives were ruined by companies halting drugs. GDNF was hardly the first or only one.

This is what it boils down to in the end....a bio tech deciding to spend money on us. Unless....somebody finds it unexpectedly. And once again, GNDF rears up as a solution, being on the list to tighten the BBB, as well a s on the list of what can regenerate neurons. Logically, it would be used until something better comes along, so pd patients don't suffer.

I'll never stop driving this point home.
just ignore this and carry on...

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote