View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my housing experiences

Hi Rose,

I am going through this right now with my mom who has Alzheimer's. She is moving into a small, private, residential home TODAY. I am in Seattle; she, my dad, sister, and large extended family are in Denver. My sister and I have been a great tag team; me doing research on the phone and internet, she following up on the ground. Together we found what we hope will be a good place for our mom. It is a home in a suburb near where my folks live, so it will be easy for Dad to visit. There are 6 residents, all women with Alz, and 3 staff always on duty. The house has a nice backyard with a vegetable garden, and a park nearby - they insist on daily exercise. Experienced in dementia care, they will take care of Mom until death. It costs close to $4000/month; we can manage that for about 2 years, but are moving ahead to qualify for Medicaid. We are moving her now because it has become too difficult to care for her at home (my dad is both guilt-ridden and filled with relief), my sister has been bathing her; he has been unable to keep her in Depends. I am on my way out to spend some extended time with my dad as soon as I can get myself ready and on the road.

In the meantime, I have been doing some writing for a local non profit who are raising funds for Parkinson's-specific long term care. Consequently, housing needs for PD/and/or/dementia care are on my mind a lot these days.

The non profit has decided to build a high-end, beautifully designed facility that is institutional with a "family" feel; it should be wonderful. But, as I pointed out to the board members, I would never qualify to live there because of cost ($5-$6,000/month), and they do not plan at first to take Medicaid clients.

Money is a problem. I don't know what I'm going to do as I decline. It's been 11 years; I feel very comfortable living on my own, but I don't know how long that will last. I have no answers, except that I will take things as they come and something will emerge.

But that is not generally a good long term planning strategy. Housing for PD people becomes more challenging as our population becomes younger.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (05-27-2010), rose of his heart (05-27-2010)