View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
Beleive me, there is nothing simple about gluten intolerance. When you are intolerant and still eating gluten, many do not absorb vitamins and minerals, in turn causing neuropathy. Gluten intolerance tends to run in families too, which also means, the rest of your family could have this same issue. Not everyonew with gluten intolerance will have stomach issues, some have only neuropathy symptoms. There is no RX for gluten intolerance, just staying away from gluten, which is much more difficult than most believe.

If I was still eating gluten, I'm positive my neuropathy would be much worse.

Have you had B12 levels checked, or Vit D? My issues are caused by the gluten causing me to be B12 deficient.

What genes do you have?
I have had tests completed and then additional tests to validate the first tests. Unfortunately, my Neuropathy is tied with SCA-2. I will try to go gluten free to see if it lessens my pain levels. Anything is worth a try. The ataxia is definitely from sca-2. The genetic tests have left us with no doubt about the diagnosis. Not only do I have balance issues, my speach has begun to be affected, along with muscle cramps and spasms, and slow eye movement, and some memory problems (though we have not began thios testing). The more information I gather regarding sca-2 makes me very nervous about this disease. With the rarity (1 to 2 in 100,000) of the disease I can understand looking for other causes.

Dewey
"An American Military member, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to " The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life.""
NM_Dewey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-22-2010)