View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Last summer, our refrig upNorth was not working well, so we cut way back on milk and cheese things. And boy did I suffer! That is the first time for ME being low in calcium I think.

I don't know how critical the ratio is, but the calcium is very important. I take a low dose diltiazem and that may be a factor too. I just take 1000mg of calcium carbonate (Maalox quick dissolve) at night now for insurance. Not all calcium is absorbed you know from a supplement. The going rate is about 20-25% tops. 1000mg of calcium carbonate is not 1000mg of calcium, so the elemental is about 500. So divide this by 4 and you get 125mg thereabouts, out of that 1000mg dose. The calcium not absorbed goes thru the colon and is thought to help prevent colon cancer.

One really good source is yogurt. One cup is about 450mg.

This might be an age thing, or a lack of acid thing. You know people who don't feel well don't cook up fancy complete meals as a rule. When we vacation, food prep is always difficult given our island with the no power business. (all we have is propane). Going to the store is 1/2 day trip over open water.

I also find that the scalp problems (which I get sometimes. itching..especially from nightshade veggies), are gone when I use a high dose antioxidant. Since I started 300mg of grapeseed extract for my allergies, the scalp thing is gone. There is that antioxidant in my Krill oil too, which may be helping.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote