View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is a big difference between anecdotal observations and scientific research. Those 'fully recovered' people appear to be fully recovered. If their brain is put under stress, symptoms will become evident.

The symptomatic times may never be connected to the original concussion by the casual observer or even the subject. But the scientific data can demonstrate the connection.

The easiest stressor to trigger measurable symptoms is altitude. The study compared equally rated students in a university by testing them as sea level and again at 8000 feet altitude in an altitude chamber. Those with no concussion history did the same at both altitudes. Those with a concussion history did measurably worse at 8000 feet altitude.

In my anecdotal case, I found that I made mistakes flying my own personal airplane for any extended duration at high altitudes even though those altitudes were considered safe. I ended up quitting flying and selling my plane because of the mistakes I frequently made. Years later, I read about Dr Gronwall's research.

I also have problems with test taking. The stress of the testing environment would cause memory recall and other cognitive struggles. I could often remember all of my mistakes and the correct answers once I was out of the testing stress.

Much of the long term damage from a concussion is not as noticeable until the subject reaches the forty plus age group.

The simple fact that second and third concussions are far more damaging that the first demonstrates that the brain has been left in a weakened state.

After my first concussion in 1965, I would have said that I recovered fully within six months. After my concussion in 1970, I would have said I fully recovered by late 1972. In hind sight and by the observations of others, both concussions left me with lasting problems. My personality and other behavioral changes were discounted as just growing up. Hindsight shows that they were more drastic and centered on the concussion incident.

Erica, wait and tell me that concussions recover fully after you have lived a decade or two after a concussion or two.

Many doctors claim 'fully recovered' because their concussion patients stop complaining about their concussion symptoms. We stop complaining because nobody will listen to our complaints. Our symptoms and complaints get attributed to other causes.

btw, My first concussion caused me to miss 4 days of school. The first two days I was in the hospital being observed because of my slurred speech. There were no CT scans back in 1965. I never missed any school or work since then from my various concussions. I didn't even have to 'tough it out' to deal with them. Of 14 head impacts, only three would be considered concussions by main stream medical protocol. Yet, the last and least traumatic has caused the most permanent symptoms.

Only one doctor has agreed that my minor concussions were concussions based on my observation of a metallic taste in my mouth after the impact. The other doctors look at me as if I am crazy.

When the medical community finally accepts the permanence of concussion, hopefully there will be changes in how the public looks at concussions.

I am glad so many feel like they have recovered fully. The long term struggles are almost unbearable. To be able to return to normal life functions is great.

Just be careful to avoid another head impact and be willing to accept future return of symptoms as possibly caused by the 'healed' concussion. Otherwise, the later mental turmoil of 'what is wrong with my brain' can be overwhelming.

My best to all of you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote