View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cost and responsibility

My doctor keeps bringing up the cost of tests and treatments. For example, he wanted to wait for my AChR antibodies test to come back before giving me the second SFEMG. It's not that my insurance won't pay--it's just a matter of economic responsibility. This actually makes some sense to me.

On the other hand, we are out of diagnostic and treatment options for me. He can't think of anything else to test me for, and the mg tests are too inconclusive to make me a candidate for immunosuppressants. The only thing we could do, at this point, is to give me a course of ivig for the sake of diagnosis: if it makes me much better, that shows I could benefit from immunosuppressants.

This makes some sense to me, but he said, even if my insurance will pay, we have to ask whether it's "too expensive."

I don't know what to think about that. No one's saying I'm not worth curing. But there comes a point where if the treatment is really a long shot, that cost should be a factor, I suppose. I think he really thinks I don't have mg.

What does a doctor do when he can't diagnose you? He's already the expert--I don't think there's anyone else to send me to. I think he's going to end up by saying, "Well, let's just wait to see what develops" which comes down to, "Unless something changes, I give up."

Again, I don't really blame him. No sense testing me for things it's clear I don't have. Still, I feel like there must be something I could pursue. I suppose this is the point where people give up on traditional medicine and start with alternative stuff, which I'm not really inclined to do.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote