View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default same boat!

RD,
I was diagnosed with PD 6 years ago, earlier it was not so bad but lately, specially, last year has been very tough. I tried my best to work full time, be involved in my daughter's life (she is 11 now) like any mother would do and yet there are times, when my best efforts are not enough.

Right now, I am facing the reality of PD. Just as you say, I finally make adjustments to life with PD and the PD monster is one step ahead of me. I am starting on a new job and my employer knows that I have PD and in fact PD is one of the reasons for getting this job. This is a wonderful opportunity for me both at professional and personal level. I am happy about this job, but for the first time in my life, I am doubting my abilities to get the work done and I am going into this venture with anxiety rather than confidence. Does this sound familiar to you> You are not alone and this is not how any of us planned our future to be.

You asked how do others cope with the realities of PD: Paula and Laura gave great advice and here is my two cents worth.
First sigh of relief for me is that my boss knows about my PD, so do coworkers and a few others I feel should know. I do not advertise my PD but do not hide it either. So far this strategy helped me
-I tend to take on too many things, but learning to say NO and delegate and trust others to do their job. It may not be how I would have done or 100% right....who can tell the difference between 95% and 100% anyway?
-I think letting go of control, seeking help when needed, accepting that my effort is 100% but my productivity is less than 100%, a job well done now as opposed to an excellent/ superb job , have made a difference to my life.
-One reason I push myself so much is my kid, she needs me and I am not going to let PD rob me of being a mom.
-And HOPE that something will come out of research to make me feel better.

I hope this helps you. Good luck and Best Wishes for your job. Keep posting!

Girija

Last edited by girija; 05-28-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (05-30-2010), imark3000 (05-29-2010), rd42 (05-30-2010), vlhperry (05-28-2010)