View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My MVD Experience

Thanks so much for this diary of your MVD experience! It helped me a lot. I had my MVD on the 27th of April 2010 in BARTS Hospital in London c/o Mr Habib Ellamushi. I was very scared of this procedure and was due to have it in 1998 however the surgeon at that time said there was no evidence of artery compressing the TN and instead we opted for alcohol/glycerol injection. That lasted about 6 Months as did the Gamma Knife the following year. Last year after 14 Years of pain I decided to go for MVD. The first MRI scan didn't show any compression however interestingly on the 2nd examination it did show up quite clearly. Now at 5 weeks following surgery I have had a very similar experience to you. I have been adjusting to sleeping normally again without all the drugs, especially Tegretol! I used that for nearly 14 Years!!
Post surgery I am now feeling much better. I was deaf in the right ear and had tinnitus and that has now pretty much gone back to normal. I too have numbness from my ear down through my lower jaw and along my tongue. I guess that may or may not return to normal but I can live with that if it means I don't have that TN pain! They took bone from my leg to repair the hole they made in my skull.
I am very pleased with the result. I am not taking any medications now. I have also had a few weird pains but they are not like the electric shock, stabbing burning pains that I was having all these years. I thought they could have been pains from the incision and where the bone is healing post op. I am getting used to cleaning my teeth without biting the toothbrush because of the pain and washing my face and splashing water. Also talking, shaving, walking, swallowing and wind on the face. All new experiences and I'm praying to god that this is it and no more pain. 14 Years is a long time. I've been through many procedures including MVD and have taken anti-depressants, anti-convulsants, had countless sessions of accupressure, accupuncture, massage etc and nothing has worked. They even sent me for a years psychotherapy! I return to work 09th of June and am looking forward to reengaging in the world - pain free! Long may it continue. I wish you well. I agree with you that the actual surgery was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it. Prior to surgery I was in a state of collapse and now having been looked after by an excellent surgical team and also having such a positive result this is something I would definitely have done again, no doubt.
enfield1965 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (05-30-2010)