View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'm so very sorry, but here's a little more to know

Welcome to the gates of hell known as SSI. Here you are 4 years into the process and still getting the run around. Well I'm sorry to say, you're far from done with it and one of the areas is regarding Medicare.

Even after you finally do get your SSI through, I think you'll find that your local state Medicaid program will be your only medical insurance solution for no less than the first 2 years. Only after being on disability for 2 years does a person qualify for Medicare and then you'll have the $110 payment for Part B coverage plus if you don't buy a supplement during the brief 7 month window (3 months before Medicare kicks in, the month Medicare kicks in and 3 months after it kicks in) you have no guarantee of ever being able to get any kind of Medicare supplemental from then on which you're going to need badly since Medicare is usually 80/20, meaning you'll still owe 20% of the bill. Actually after January the 1st, because of Medicare dropping down the amount they're paying the doctors, the supplement also kicks down meaning most patients now owe an additional 3rd bill for the difference the first two insurance plans didn't pay. In other words, once you're on Medicare you can plan on paying $110 for Part B, plus a supplement for around $150 plus Medicare Part D that costs around $35 a month with a $310 deductible (averaged out together that means most are now paying around $65 a month for Part D drug plan coverage). There's a lot of people who now have both Medicaid and Medicare together. If you want more info, contact either SHIP (a nationwide Medicare help organization that's simply wonderful) or me and I'll help you through this part of your challenges at hand.

The average person is paying around $300 just for their insurance and there's still things that Medicare won't pay for which you'll be left financially on the hook for. The fact that Medicare won't kick in till after you've been on full disability for 2 years is the other thing that hurts most people the most.

On a positive note, even without SSI, you might be able to qualify for Medicaid right now.

As far as why you were denied one more time, I'd like to think it's just another slight accident on their part, but I've become to cynical in my old age. The reason you've had so many roadblocks is not because your wife isn't disabled, it's because of there being so many people who've abused the system to death and now they've run out of money plain and simple.

I'm so sorry that you couldn't apply for SSD instead of SSI because it would have made a world of difference in both the amount your wife will eventually get plus there are so many restrictions regarding assets and total monthly income for those who are on SSI.

Best of luck. Contact me if you need more info on the insurance side of your problems. Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimking View Post
Yes, I'm contacting her lawyer first and for the 3rd time Congressman Connally. If this moves along slowly then I'm going to submit all my wifes medical records and SSDI files to local reporters here in Washington and if that fails I may submit to foreign reporters to show others in the world how the US federal government treats their very sick citizens after paying insurance for 30 years. We no longer have insurance because of the way our system rids those who are sick and unemployed. Even though I'm employed the employer can no longer offer coverage. Medicare is what my wife needs for coverage and to prove to furture doctors that she is disabled with RSD not some drug seeking slug. Sorry about the rant hope4thebest.
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote