View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 05:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile how to motivate your dog in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettAustin View Post
Would you happen to know if there are any books or at least instructional material that could me motivate or train my dog?
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. -Bill Gates
Hi, Jett .....

There are three different kinds of dogs when it comes to knowing what kind of reinforcement is most effective... here is a google page to a number of pages that may provide help &/or links to the help you need. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QrX77
(you use "dog training" treats praise touch as the search terms)

The three kinds of reinforcement are PRAISE, TREATS and TOUCH...

If your dog is small (tiny stomach), then if treats are what most motivates, then break the treat into the tiniest possible pieces - high aroma (like in Pupperoni or tiny morsels of cooked liver) means more than what does it taste like - try tasting Pupperoni to get the idea - they are sweet, not the least bacony or meaty.

My dog adores treats, but alone they are NOT enough to make her interested in behavioral changes. And she is NOT a cuddler at all and does not like to be touched much at all, actually, so patting her and giving her head rubs are not very effective alone...

But she ADORES verbal praise - nothing else brightens up her eyes and makes her tail wag.. When she hears my voice, she always turns to give me attention, especially when she knows I'm talking to her. Verbal praise alone has been fantastic since I do distance training - like a command of "Ho" tells her to stop dead in her tracks and not move...

So you have to know your dog --- I can't mix treats and praise with mine as the treats totally distract her, make her want to come to me, and just simply bring training to a screeching halt. Maybe another trainer might have success with her using treats, but it will never be me!

So you have to know your dog... There are a number of different famous trainers (and retrainers) who have written books or appeared on television (even years ago with "No Bad Dogs"), and I suggest rather than sign up for a course or buy a book, to first check out your library. They are no longer constrained to what is on their shelves since libraries can now borrow from other libraries at minimal to no cost to you at all. You can borrow DVDs and VCR cassettes, too.

And if you want, go watch training classes going on somewhere nearby (some big pet shop chains sponsor them). You can bring your dog along if he needs socialization (in terms of comfort and being relaxed, ignoring people and dogs around him/her). But first, if you have access to Animal Planet, watch the "it's me or the dog" show (think that is the name) with the thin Englishwoman who often helps people with EXACTLY the problems most difficult if they appear in Service Dogs of any ilk.

Maybe you can find an online website where you can make goals, track progress, etc ... I would be surprised if someone hasn't created one yet.

Good luck - and tune in Animal Planet (check online if you don't get this channel). Remember that dog-training is dog training, but that excellent socialization and obedience are key - the rest is all the age and personality of the dog you choose. Puppies aren't it ... and neither is your average Jack Russell Terrier.

Theresa

OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote