View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good info., Michelle! Thanks for sharing. I do know, and can attest firsthand: My dog (and I'm totally serious) was losing her "springs" (jumping ability), and it was painful for me to see, as well as for her feeling it. Her doctor suggested glucosamine. Stuff works wonders for her. Her "spring" ability is back in action . She has bone on bone in her hind legs; so, I do imagine, that that was quite painful for her. (Watching her was difficult enough.)

I point that out because, for some people, glucosamine helps. If someone's doc is okay'ing it, too (so that there aren't any adverse effects from, maybe, taking other medications), heck... worth a thought? I think, at least, relay the idea of trying (beforehand) with health care providers, since they've the med. history, etc., and can add to the support.

With others, some conditons under the arthritis umbrella or within its family: They can go through periods - and maybe extended ones - of remission.

Arthritis, as I understand, still has no cure. It has treatments, etc., but no cure.

I bring this up since others reading, and possibly new to their own diagnoses, shouldn't take on unwarranted "guilt" if/when something may be tried and it just doesn't provide long-term or systemic relief.

Norman Cousins comes to mind. He had Ankylosing Spondylitis, as do I. "Laughter" did not cure him either. During fusion itself or the progression of the disease, it is quite painful. Still, there are times (even if felt minutely) where there is less pain.

Laughter can help. So, too, can other things or activities that help take a person's mind off of the pain. For some it works, but... if a disease has firm footing in someone's body, it will take its course. No one should feel bad or guilty if what works for one person doesn't also help another.

Arthritis? Saps so much out of people's lives.

And... it's just important to do as you have done and share ideas. They might help people.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote