View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Brainfreeze

I don't post much anymore, I am now six years post clipping surgery for a 5 mm aneurysm and doing really well.

What is the location of your aneurysm? Mine was on the pericallosal artery and they also took a 'window' out of my skull just above my left eyebrow. My incision went from the top of one ear, across the top of my head to the top of my other ear. From memory, the scar was 10 inches long and I had nearly 50 staples. I was 34 at the time.

The surgery was fairly straightforward. The pain was not as bad as I thought it would be (although it hurt like a you-know-what when they took out the drain). I had three days in ICU and was in hospital for ten days on a general ward. I live five hours drive from the hospital, so I think they kept me in longer for that reason.

I did have some cognitive issues post surgery, and the doc told me not to try and rush back to work. I was lucky enough to take six months off, which was good for me because I also have MS and that complicated things a bit too

Everyone reacts differently to stuff like this, but here are some of the most common things you may/will experience:

Trouble word-finding
Short term memory issues
Headaches
Hair loss (usually a month or two after the operation)
Sleep problems
Fatigue
Fatigue
Fatigue (yes, lots of it)
Depression (usually around three months, consider that this is a huge thing mentally, physically and psychologically and when someone starts fooling around with the brain it can disrupt all sorts of chemistry)
Difficulty coping with sensory stimulation - light sound and movement

BUT...

And this is the most important thing - you are dealing with this nasty little thing on your terms - getting it before it gets you. I am not saying it will be a picnic, but you won't have this ticking time bomb in your head anymore, and you will recover. The brain heals very slowly, and it can be anywhere up to 12 months before you feel 100% again, but the first six months are the worst and recovery speeds up over time. I have heard of people that have returned to work after six weeks, but if you do, try and take things slowly.

I hope this hasn't scared you....you don't know what you can cope with until you have to and the safety and success rate of the operation are very good.

If anyone has anything to add to this it would be great to get other people's experiences too.

Good luck and keep us posted

Cheers

Lyn
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote