Thread: Scan Results
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

If you do a bit more research into slightly prominent sulcal markings, you will find that it has more to do with the gap or fissure between lobes than atrophy. It could mean many things. It could be excess CSF (cerebro-spinal fluid) or just an abnormality in how your brain is or shows up in an image.

I would suggest you relax and not get so overly anxious about this. The web reference to atrophy likely is referring to a woman who had previous images.

The comparison from a past image to a current image could result in a definition of atrophy. In your case, unless there is a previous image to compare to, there is no way to determine whether these "slightly prominent sulcal markings " have any meaning at all. When the same Radiologist reads and compares both, you will have a better idea of what this may mean.

If you are going to ask your doctor about this, ask to have your old image compared to the new image. The scan one year post injury will likely show no damage from a concussion. Studies show that the concussion damage shows up best usually at three days post impact. The brain will absorb blood or dead cells very quickly, within a week or so. Then the brain will fill the gap with living cells.

Relax. Learn to tolerate your symptoms. Try to determine ways to avoid these symptoms. You are not the same person that you were before your concussion. Mourn the loss of the old you and try to understand the new you. There is life after concussion. It just might be a little different.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote