View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default PD and Heart Rate Variability with repressed emotion?

This is a bit different, so hang on. Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is a numeric value that tells how your pulse is changing at a given time (grossly simplified). It is a dynamic, changing value that conveys information on how certain parts of your autonomic nervous system are working.

The higher the value the better as it reflects how adaptable your cardiac system is to changing conditions such as a heart attack. I have some basic biofeedback equipment that measures HRV. Mine is pretty much zero and my first cardiac excitement will probablybe my last.But in the meantime, I was wondering if other PWP had ever had theirs determined.

One reason for the question is a theory of repressed emotions as a cause of low HRV. Similar theories have been proposed for PD. Is there any truth to that, I wondered. Being in both groups, I could be a poster child for the pair, but how to know? Of course, all these musings were occurring while I was hooked up and watching the usual discouraging graph being traced on the screen.

Then serendipity struck in the guise of my big, dumb dog who decided that the cat should go upstairs and, witha good bit of barking, charged across the room to tell her so.

This very irritating interruption made me very mad for a moment. Yelling, cussing mad. Shouting "Bad Dog" across the room and having a strong desire to kick somebody.

Glancing at my laptop, I found that the graph had gone off the scale in the GOOD direction! What does it mean? HOW WOULD I KNOW?!?! DO I LOOK LIKE A BLASTED MINDREADER??? WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO COME UP WITH THE WEIRD STUFF???

There, I feel better already.

From http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2007...al-responding/

"environment.

“… heart rate variability (HRV) is a measure of the continuous interplay between sympathetic and parasympathetic influences on heart rate that yields information about autonomic flexibility and thereby represents the capacity for regulated emotional responding.”

“HRV reflects the degree to which cardiac activity can be modulated to meet changing situational demands.”
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote