View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, don't feel bad about the questions, I'm very happy to try to help, I hate the thought of this continual suffering, I'll try to describe the best that I can....my mvd was over 10 years ago now, there was a compression which was separated with teflon, but I'm a bit of an oddity as I have an artery that perforates the nerve

The surgery that I had earlier in the year (March) was cryosurgery, which froze my nerve to a temperature of minus 80 degrees. How I describe my AD that followed is like a painful numbness (its numb and yet its also painful) and tingly, a bit like when those fairy lights constantly flash on off on off and my cheek often felt glowing or on fire. For a short while it felt either inflamed or raw like and a little bit swollen. When this settled a bit I used the Zostrix. After around 7/8 weeks it started to subside a little but it did get me down.

The diagnosis was both dysesthesia and AD, I did take amitriptylene for a while, then I had problems from that with a horrible condition called 'dry mouth'. I mainly have classic TN but I also have atypical periodically.
Going back to the mvd, the day after my op I had a horrendous attack and had to continue on high dose Tegretol for a few months after until trying to decrease. I never regained my hearing either and it took me some time to deal with it and not be angry. Without any meds I can understand the pain your mother must be in. I am not in a position to tell you what to do of course, but I'm quite sure that if it was me I'd be pushing to see the neurologist again, quickly, as the situation sounds bad. Start to write things down in a pain diary, even on the ok days. Let me know how its going, or if there's anything else that you want to ask please do so
Bayley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote