View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Palliative is end of life care

If you're at the stage where you no longer wish to extend your life by going through more medical treatments and additional medication, then perhaps it's time you look into palliative care. I spoke with my doctor about it just a few months ago and I know that's a direction I will be heading.

When I was a volunteer with Hospice, I learned that palliative care is basically nothing more than comfort care. No medications that eradicate or extend the persons life are given. Instead only good patient care and pain management are provided during this last 6 - 12 months of life.

It sounds like you're looking for home health care. There is a world of difference between the two. Here's hoping you find the path that works best whatever direction that might be, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUReady View Post
Hello , I had someone who has been advising me through this W/C injury to check on the possibility of palliative care on an as needed basis . My question is does anyone here use this service and if so to what extent . My understanding is you can have assistance with home care , transportation , etc. , I already use the driver service for Dr. Appts. as there is no way I could drive to and sit and wait for doc without having to take something to ease the pain . And I do not want to be driving in that situation . The reason I ask is some days I feel like I can function enough to do most of the needed tasks (but pay for it later) , and I do not want to totally give up the independence . My wife works part time and my youngest child is going back to college this Fall so I will be here alone quite a bit . We live in a very rural area and there is not any public transportation available . Just wanted to get some thoughts , or ideas on this matter . Thank you all !
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote