View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi ~ Did the Cymbalta REALLY relieve your neck pain??? If it did, I'm surprised. I know it has pain meds in it, but it's really an anti-depressant.

I think you probably should have made an appointment at your neurosurgeon again, and had him order some tests for your lumbar, but that's ok. As long as you're getting someone to look after you, that's good. I just HOPE that the pain management doc orders an MRI with AND without contrast material to see what happenen to your lower back. If it's that severe, it seems like it could be a little more than "strain" to me, but I'm not a doctor.

Please, in the future, do NOT go off your meds without asking your doctor beforehand. Getting off the Cymbalta could have been quite dangerous. With some meds, it can even throw you into seizures so you have to be very careful! You weaned off too fast from the Cymbalta, so you were lucky you didn't have worst withdrawal symptoms.

Let us know what the pain doctor says, ok? God bless, and I pray you'll get some relief. Hugs, Lee
Hello Lee!

The Cymbalta actually only masked the pain and altered my emotions. I know now I was not depressed when I started taking the medication. I was tired, sad and frustrated from being in pain all the time. Eventually, my body began to respond negatively to the Cymbalta after taking it for almost a year. I could go up to three days without the medication at the max. After those three days I would experience horrible headache, backache, dizziness, trouble balancing/walking..etc. However, I also notice my I was more in tune with my emotions without the drug. I began researching the withdrawal symptoms and I was horrified by what I read and very angry. My Neuro felt it was okay to prescribe a medication that causes so many issues and creates a severe physical dependence, but always hesitated to actually prescribe me a pain medication for fear of more of a mental dependency (and the physical withdrawal symptoms from vicodin didn't seem to be near as bad as they are for Cymbalta).

After becoming educated on the risks and seriousness of coming of the medication, I will never do anything like this ever again. If I had known what I now know, I would have NEVER taken Cymbalta in the first place and this has taught me a great lesson.

I went to a pain management doctor yesterday and in less than an hour, he prescribed me multiple meds, order an MRI and scheduled physical therapy. However, my experience with my Neuro has made me extremely cautious of doctors now. I'm thinking I should cancel the appointments (haven't taken any of the meds yet) and see a chiropractor first. I was leaving his office and already preparing myself for back shots, more meds, maybe surgery, all kinds of therapy...etc. The pain management doctor stated it appeared that I have another pinched nerve in my L-something. Anyway, what do you think about seeing a chiroprator first?

Thanks for your prayers...you will be in mine too!
Luvasia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote