Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is PCS real?

My 13 year old son suffered a back injury on May 1. Nine days later, after the back injury was resolved, he started displaying concussion symptoms...agonizing headache, memory loss of the event, vision disturbances, extreme vertigo. I witnessed the injury and saw the force with which his head hit the turf. It was a whiplash type event. Thus, I have no doubt that he suffered a concussion.

Today, we went to a new neurologist who conducted a few physical tests i.e. reflexes. He then stated that "it was all in my son's head" and that he had not suffered a concussion! He could not explain the symptoms and stated that the physical symptoms were manifestations of some psychological stress. He even suggested that it was a result of some past abuse. Believe me, my son has never been abused.

I am frustrated to the point of tears. When I stated that I had read that concussion symptoms can appear days/weeks after the injury, he denied it. He did order an MRI but stated that he was sure nothing would show on it.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it possible that the neurologist is simply incompetent in the area of concussion or should I be giving merit to what he is saying? Can PCS appear 9 days after an injury to the head.
Help!
t97tab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote