Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Find a new doctor!!!! PCS is real and this is not in your son's head or underlining psychological issues - been down that path with concussion doctors that are supposed to know what they are doing and it wasn't a fun experience. The stress and anxiety they cause my daughter and myself made things significantly worse.

Yes, PCS symptoms can be delayed. Not all concussion symptoms show up right away and they will fluctuate. Stress will make them worse. My daughter's system got very out of whack about 5-6 weeks into her concussion and symptoms appeared that weren't present after her initial injury. I also think as some things start to resolve, other things become more apparent. For example, my daughter had a lot of memory issues with learning new things and remembering what was happening day to day. I didn't figure those out until maybe 4-5 weeks into the concussion when she started to feel a little better. Then we had a major back side that took a good month to recover from...

I would second an upper cervical chiropractor. We started seeing one about 2 months ago (at about the 5.5 month mark) and it seems to be making a difference.

The key in right now is lots of REST and not stimulation. Some people have success using amitriptyline (Elavil) for headache issues. My daughter used trazodone for a little while to help with sleep issues. We were prescribed Elavil - tried it for a few days but made her fatigue worse - so we stopped. I think it would have been really helpful early one. We couldn't get anyone to prescribe anything until about 3-4 months into the process. Elavil is an antidepressant that they use in low dosages for pain and sleep.

BTW - my daughter is 15 years old and recieved a concussion back in October. She is significantly better than she was initially. It's been a long slow process. I've shed many tears along the way.

Take a deep breathe and take it one day at a time. Trust your instincts - you know your son better than anyone else.

Last edited by nancys; 06-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (06-21-2010), Jomar (06-03-2010)