Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey, there! Sorry to hear about your son's injury. PCS is real...and it really sucks.

It is definately all in your son's head...as in his vestibular system, his optic nerves, his brain chemistry, etc. I doubt he would or could make up symptoms that mirror PCS quite so precisely.

I'm the mom whose daughter had optic nerve issues. Her worst symptoms didn't show up until 8-10 days post injury. As some of the acute stuff wore off we started noticing major issues with her eyes. You need more than a 20/20 eye chart to tell what's going on. She couldn't read for about 3 months. She has nystagmus (eyes jump) and still (10 months post-injury) letters and numbers will jumble up on her, especially under stress. Her center line of vision is sort of skewed so she tends to run into door jams, car doors, etc. Sometimes stationary objects seem to move. She starts vision therapy in a couple of weeks so we are hoping to get some resolution. The neuro opthamologists we saw said "give it a year" our hometown optomitrist said "try some therapy."

The things that have helped us the most (other than the basic passage of time) are accupressure around her face and reflexology on her feet. This has reduced the frequency and intensity of her headaches. She doesn't have the balance issues your son has, but she does feel like the room is tilting on her sometimes and complains of being "lightheaded".

I agree with others who suggest an Ear Nose and Throat doc. Ask for a tilt table test. There is something called BPPV (google it) you should check into.

Best of luck as you navigate these therapies. Things will get better.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (06-21-2010)