View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
My response was "I am not going to quit living because I fear the consequences. I will continue to do what I want to do (or can do) until they lay me in the ground." I just need to learn my limits and not overdo, to do the things I enjoy, in small doses!!
I started walking in April and am up to 1 mile. If I try to go beyond that mile, I pay. So I do just what you are saying..I do what I can within my limits and do not go farther. I figure 1 mile is much better than not going at all.

I learned a hard lesson today too. I love the beach, and yes, I do know better than to go barefoot, but I love the feeling of the sand on my feet. Well, today was my lesson. It was only 82 out, and I have been to the beach when it was much hotter than 82. Today, I get part way to the water and my feet are on fire. The sand felt so hot. I rarely go barefoot anymore, only in the house, and maybe my feet have gotten soft too. I debated on going back to the car and getting my swimmer shoes, but knew if I went back, I wouldn't return. So, I hurried to the water. A short time later, my left big toe felt like it was cut..without my glasses on, I thought it was cut...so I was yelling at myself doubly for no shoes. When I was done wandering, I looked for the shortest distance back to the car. I'm telling you, more than once I was near tears today in that sand. Finally, back at the car, I washed my feet off, added some powder, and put my socks and sneakers on. I had a few errands to run, and my feet were hurting so bad, like all my toes had cuts on them. When I got home, I looked at my feet, and I had blisters on 4 toes, no wonder they hurt.

Guess I can't go barefoot anymore. We all seem to learn our lessons the hard way, don't we.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote