View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcrps2 View Post
I have CRPS in hands/arms/feet/legs/face-I know i cant take winter weather or be in airconditioning. I do hot water therapy and if the pool is under 87degrees it sets off my pain. Since i started water therapy my walking and arm movements have improved and my skin sensativity has really improved. I was wandering in time will i be able to get in a cool pool in the summer, or go in the Ocean?
Once you were diagnosed were you ever able to go in a pool or Ocean? Has it changed over time?
I also found that in a hot tub i cant take it too hot(over 100) or it sets me off, or if the temp. outside is really hot(90's) and humid-I feel swollen and ache-anyone else?
momof4
Hi Momof4, I live in Arizona and have a pool. Can't tell you how much the pool has helped by body. On RSDSA I read pool temp needs to be 86 degrees. We have a heater on the pool, so I always set the temp at 86. At one time my toes were curling up off the floor,my Dr. had me in the pool every day and swim with squeezing my toes inward. After 4 months, my toes were touching the floor. It also has helped my hands. I was misdiagnosed and not diagnosed for 4 years. Lost 50% use of left hand, it's like a claw. I've kept my right hand flexible from swimming and feet legs.
I got RSD following surgery of breast. Got frozen shoulder. Had 100 physical therapy treatments. and massage treatments to get use of shoulder. I believe the swimming has kept it flexible. I've used light velcro weights around ankles to strengthen legs. a belt around waist can be nice for walking exercises, You could go to a ymca and see what kind of stretching exercises they do for the older group exercises. It's really helps with keeping mobile, stretched out.
I personally wouldn't swim in cold ocean-maui is nice in the spring till fall.
I've read somewhere hot water is not good. I know during the summer here 100-116 is unbearable. Especially since I have full body RSD plus internal RSD.
I hope this helps. I think water therapy is the best way to keep muscle tone. i know I've gained weight from high dose of neurotin and some other meds and am goiong to try to loose thru water exercise.
Hope this helps some. your friend, loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cindi1965 (06-05-2010), krank (06-04-2010), RNcrps2 (06-05-2010)