Thread: my concussion
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury is the catch all term. Concussion is often referred to as a mTBI, mild Traumatic Brain Injury.

Any brain injury caused by traumatic physical forces against the brain is a TBI.

Post Concussion Syndrome is persistent concussion symptoms that last beyond any "reasonable" time after the concussion. I know this sounds odd, but again this definition thing gets in the way of considering the symptoms.

Don't get caught up with definitions. You have a cluster of symptoms related to a concussion. You need to work with your individual symptoms, not the cluster of symptoms. The medical industry tries to categorize everything. Concussion is very difficult to categorize. Each person's brain reacts with its own mix of symptoms.

As I said, you will have much in common with those with seriously disabling brain injuries, just at a different intensity.

One of the symptoms of concussion to be aware of is 'mental ridgidity' or rigidity of thinking. This manifests as a tendency to be obsessive about a way of thinking about an issue. You will need to learn to pick your battles. Most are not worth the effort that this mental rigidity tends to cause.

When you see the neuro, don't expect too much. The brain heals slowly and never heals completely. There is still plenty of life to live after a serious concussion. You will just need to be a bit more cautious and accommodating with yourself and others.

A messed up shoulder is like a brain injury. You may get lots of shoulder function back but will have to be good to your shoulder for a long time. I know because I have torn both rotator cuffs. My ortho told me the odds of fixing a minor tear in a rotator cuff with surgery. One third do better, one third do the same and one third do worse after rotator cuff surgery.

I chose to wait and slowly rehab and let my shoulder heal. It took a couple of years but now my shoulders are in good shape if I do not over work them.

Regarding helicopter rides, they can be very expensive. My friend rode with the other person and they tried to bill him. He could have driven himself to Valley Med in San Jose. At least a ground ambulance does not put you into bankruptcy.

Here in Idaho, we pay a small annual premium for air ambulance coverage. We spend a lot of time 120 miles from a decent hospital so air ambulance coverage is very worthwhile.

So, were you riding at the park south of Aerojet? Hollister Hills SVRA has some great terrain.

I am from the old days when we could ride the fire roads and trails in the Santa Cruz Mountains. 200 cc Bultaco or Husky machines were the big guns back then. Now, you guys get to ride machines with explosive power curves.

We rode to develop skills to get into the back country of the Sierras to go deer hunting. Lots of rock crawling and slow ascents/descents.

Here in Idaho, we have thousands of square miles of open country to ride. It is a family sport with moms and even the young girls riding to keep up with dad.

I have 120 miles of old logging roads behind my cabin that I putter around on with a quad. I am not an adrenaline junkie since a bad brain injury in 1965. I'd like to find an old Honda Fat Cat if I can convince my wife. Then I could do some low impact single track riding.

Let me know how your neuro appt goes.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote