View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default School shut son in room - please see post

I posted under bipolar disorder (not parents with bipolar disorder) about my son being shut in a room at school. I am angry now but was crying Friday. What would you do? Any advice?

Julie

Here is what I had posted - My son is seeing a second psychiatrist. The first one diagnosed him as bipolar with slight adhd but son refused to talk with her, just her associate. This was a couple of years ago. He was started at that time on bipolar and depression medication through his primary with consult with this psychiatrist.

He appears to need his meds increased. Primary refuses to do so until son sees new psychiatrist.

Started with new psychiatrist a couple of weeks ago. I had consult with him (husband injured so I went myself). Last week he consulted with our son. This week he is to meet with our son.

Friday, however, our son ran off during recess because he was afraid he was going to get in trouble for something he says he didn't do. A child had gone to the recess supervisor complaining that students said they didn't like him. She was calling the students over to her and my son was one of them. He ran to the end of the school property. Believe where he was was still school property but not absolutely sure.

They called me. I told them I would be right there. They said he'd be outside if they couldn't get him inside. I found out after that they bodily put him in someone's car, drove him to the school entrance and carried him inside. When I got there they had him in a very small white room (5' x 10' or so) without windows and were holding the door shut. They said they were letting him "cool down".

This is the first major problem they've had with him and this was how they handled it. He is 10 years old.

The principal told me he couldn't return to school until "YOU come up with a safety plan." I meet with the principal on Monday.

I feel angry now but was crying Friday night.

Any advice?

Julie

Last edited by Julie_B; 06-06-2010 at 12:47 AM.