Thread: dealing with GN
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi. Welcome to Neurotalks

Since I didn't know what GH (Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia) was, I googled it. I found this information (as I'm sure you have been told what this is)

Here is what I found:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from the following website:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/g..._neuralgia.htm

Is there any treatment?

Most doctors will attempt to treat the pain first with drugs. Some individuals respond well to anticonvulsant drugs, such as carbamazepine and gabapentin. Surgical options, including nerve resection, tractotomy, or microvascular decompression, should be considered when individuals either don’t respond to, or stop responding to, drug therapy. Surgery is usually successful at ending the cycles of pain, although there may be some sensory loss in the mouth, throat, or tongue.
What is the prognosis?

Some individuals recover from an initial attack and never have another. Others will experience clusters of attacks followed by periods of short or long remission. Individuals may lose weight if they fear that chewing, drinking, or eating will cause an attack.
What research is being done?

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and other institutes at the National Institutes of Health conduct research related to GN in its clinics and laboratories and support additional research through grants to major medical institutions across the country. Much of this research focuses on finding better ways to prevent, treat, and ultimately cure disorders such as GN.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Has your physician even talked about surgery? At least that would stop the pain.

I understand you have no health insurance. What state do you live in?

Perhaps one of our members might know a free clinic that treats people.

Keep posting and one of us will try and help you.

Take care (and keep your chin up). My husband has been living with Neuropathy for 20 years and he used to consider suicide.Thank goodness he is still with me.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 06-07-2010 at 01:22 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (06-08-2010), mrsD (06-07-2010)