View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

bootsins,

Until about 6 weeks ago, I had daily headaches ranging in pain from 6-7/10. My accident happened 12/22/08. Since the accident was negligence by hospital staff, the neurologist who was assigned to me I feel didn't want to admit that I had any PCS symptoms because that would have admitted fault. So, after 9 months of trying to deal with her and the headaches, I finally got a second opinion. The neurologist that I have now is so willing to first of all listen to my complaints which was not something the first one was willing to do. We have tried different medications. First was nortriptyline (didn't like the side effects - nothing great, just increased weight and decreased libido - could have been worse, but not exactly what I wanted). The next was propanolol, but since my heart rate is normally low, this put me really low and he didn't like that fact. So, now I am on 45 mgs. of Topomax and have been able to deal with just really low grade headaches on a daily basis. Some days are better than others, but for the most part I can finally function.

It does get extremely frustrating dealing with headaches. It affects everything in your daily life. My saving grace was switching neurologists. I really feel that you have to find someone who is knowledgeable with PCS and does not discount your symptoms and the way you feel. I started keeping a journal every day and could tell how when I worked out too much on one day that the next day I felt considerably worse. That way I could put a handle on what may be causing the headaches. I also could take this to the doc so that he could see what was going on. He said to me at my last appointment that if he could get my headaches under control I would feel much better and he was right. I don't care to be on any more meds that I have to be either, but if you can find one that works...

We had a town "frolic" this past weekend where there is a midway, music, games, food, etc. I have a hard time with loud noise but the kids wanted to go. I knew that the next day I wouldn't feel so great. I know that I should wear ear plugs, but I never seem to think about it until after the fact.

This may not be any comfort to you, but I honestly thought that I would never get over my headaches.
sheds is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote