View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post Huperzine A

Hi All-

About three weeks after my problem started was when I got my first confirmation that I had MG. The neuro prescribed mestinon, gave me next to zero info or hope and sent me on my way, telling me to come back in 30 days. He was a real lop. That's why I eventually went to a second neuro.

I had already decided I was going to try to treat the cause rather than the symptoms especially after reading about all the possible negative side effects of mestinon. So I never took any mestinon.

I had run across info about huperzine A during my net research. It is also an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor allegedly without any side effects at all. Touted as being helpful for victims of MG. I decided I would give it a shot even though it was for symptom treatment only. I was pretty bad off at the time - had already lost over 15lbs and was getting weak because I couldn't eat - so I was looking for something to help me through a bit. But not mestinon.

Bought Huperzine A and took it. Had no idea of what dosage to use so I decided on 50mcg twice a day to start. Stayed with that for about a week. That dosage did not seem to be effective so I upped it to 50mcg three times a day. My overall trials lasted 3-4 weeks. I experienced no positive effects on my MG during this time so I eventually quit taking it. What is interesting to note however is that while I was taking it I experienced an improved mental clarity - that is my mind just seemed to be sharper and felt as if I could think quicker and more clearly. That was a good thing! During the whole time I was taking it I noticed NO ill effects whatsoever. None. No worries there at all.

Further net research revealed that Hup Z is very receptor specific. It targets recptors in the brain and was being used in trials for alzheimers and dementia as well as MG. Very little goes to the muscles when it is taken orally. Come to find out that the trials where it showed promise for MG treatment were at much higher dosages (400mcg and up) and were being given intravenously.

SO - I can tell you that it DID seem to help me mentally but there was no noticeable effect on my MG symptoms. And definitely no outward side effects of any manifestation were noticed.

Gonna experiment with it again some day just for the heck of it to see if will clear up my occasional "foggy headed " mornings but that's for another time and not this forum.

Next post will be about Edgar Cayce and why I believe so strongly that iodine, manganese, and proper diet are key in treatment of this disease.

Rob D.
Please forgive what may seem as short or terse tones in either my questions or responses. I two finger type so I tend to keep things short and to the point. Takes WAY too long to type flowery phrases. No offense EVER, EVER intended.